Now it’s all about the festive season! Every festival is vital as it adds structure to our lives and teaches ethics and principles to the next generations. Festivals help to connect with families and friends. While we are in the full festive swing, we may end up making the below health mistakes that can take a toll on health. Focussing on the health, especially during this festive and pandemic season is the need of the hour to avoid battling with those bulges. This time around, while you enjoy with the family and friends, it is necessary to keep a balanced and wholesome approach to stay physically and mentally healthy, thereby eliminating stress and other health issues consuming you.
Here is our list of top 3 types of health mistakes that you need to avoid during the festive season. Let’s take a look at those common mistakes now!
Health mistakes to avoid during the festive season:
While totally engrossed in the joy and festive celebrations, most people forget about their health.
1. Diet mistakes:
Our diet during the festive season heavily comprise of sweets and foods made with loads of oil, ghee, sugar, and refined white flour. Refraining from such foods is not an easy task, but healthily including them is what one needs to focus on. Let’s check out a few other diet blunders people make during the festival season:
- Festivals are incomplete without sweets. Adding too many sweets in the diet can spike your blood sugar levels. Try having sweets prepared healthily.
- Fasting during festivals is a traditional process. Don’t fast for long hours and try taking healthy snacks like fruits and nuts while on fasting.
- Dehydration is the biggest culprit leading to serious health complications. So, drink enough water and stay hydrated to prevent chronic diseases and other issues.
- Many people tend to reuse the cooking oil; so, avoid doing it as it is extremely unsafe and can raise a potential health risk.
- Skipping meals is one of the biggest mistakes we tend to make during the festive season being occupied in other chores. Yes! It can lead to weight gain, fatigue and low immunity.
- Unplanned drinks are calorie bombs. Avoid them as they can lead to dehydration.
- Squeeze a little time in the festive days to burn out the extra fat for at least 20 minutes through exercise.
2. Skincare mistakes:
Most of us neglect skincare routine during festival days. Here are a few skincare mistakes you might commit! So, avoid these practices for healthy, glowing skin.
- Skipping your sunscreen lotion before you plan to head out. Apply sunscreen lotion of SPF more than 15.
- Loading too much make-up can harm your skin due to the chemicals present in it. If you can’t give a break, then apply your products minimally. Also, speak to the dermatologist before choosing and applying the products available in the market.
- Including unhealthy, junk, processed foods, sweets, and beverages in the diet can make your skin look dry, dull, pigmented, dehydrated, and acne-prone. So, limit your intake during the festive season.
- Not all skincare products suit every skin type. Before selecting products, know your skin type as unsuitable ones may lead to breakouts, rashes, itching, redness, etc.
- Poor quality sleep- The busy festive season can toss you with late-night sleep and early morning wakeups. Try getting a maximum of eight hours of sleep during festive times for healthy and nourished skin.
3. Eye-make up mistakes:
Are you planning for a trendy makeup this festive season? Here are a few things you need to keep in mind if you are aiming for healthy eyes.
- Use clean brushes and make sure to wash it off after every single use to avoid bacteria lurking in the brushes.
- After a long exhaustive festive day, removing make-up may be a tiring process. But make sure to remove all your eye make-ups before hitting the bed. This is because the chemicals can clog the oil glands, hair follicles, and may sometime weaken your eyelashes.
- Pay attention to check the chemicals mentioned on the labels as certain ingredients can harm your eyes.
- Smoke from the firecrackers can lead to dry eyes. Hence, to get a temporary relief use lubricants, like carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) sodium drops.
Preventive tips during Covid-19 festive celebrations:
As we welcome the festivities during the pandemic times, it’s vital to provide special attention to health while you celebrate the festivals with family and friends. Here are a few preventive tips:
- Follow all precautions like wearing a mask, washings hands regularly, and maintaining social distancing to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones.
- Never ignore even the mildest symptoms. Taking necessary safety measures diligently like staying home or in isolation is a must to reduce the chances of being infected or spreading COVID-19.
- Follow the traditional way of greeting the people without any physical contact by saying “Namaste” and avoid handshakes and hugs.
- Prefer to take only home-cooked foods and sweets and refrain from outside foods during the festive season to reduce the risk of COVID-19.
- Avoid outdoor gatherings and mingling with the crowd. Also, indoor gatherings with poor ventilation may pose a greater risk of infection.
Festive seasons in India spans through a long period of time. Health compromises during this season can lead to various lifestyle diseases and disorders. A little smart planning can prevent unnecessary troubles over time. Ensure you make this festive season unscathed by following the above guide.