Digital technology has touched every aspect of our lives. The world has been transformed radically with the use of smart devices, electronic communication medium, and internet. Health is no exception to this. The use of Electronic Medical Records (EMR) and Electronic Health Records (EHR) are seamlessly adding convenience and accuracy to online healthcare services.
Before we jump into the benefits of EHRs and EMRs, let’s understand the slight difference between them.
Electronic Medical Records (EMRs): EMRs are the records of patients maintained with a particular healthcare service provider which can be produced to other providers on request through emails or printouts. It includes crucial details of a patient like medical history, diagnosis, medications, immunization dates, allergies, and other medical information. EMRs work well within a medical facility for exchange of patient’s data among different doctors, administrative department, insurance companies, and others.
Electronic Health Records (EHRs): EHRs are more comprehensive detail of a person which can be used anytime in the future. It contains patient’s medical history, vital signs, medications, allergies, immunizations, diagnosis, progress reports along with varied other personal information like insurance details, address, location, and every minute details of his health. The use of EHR is widespread as they are interoperable across multiple healthcare service providers like clinics, pharmacies, and diagnostic centers. It can also be shared in schools or workplace for data transfer and support a person to provide the best online healthcare service wherever he goes.
Benefits of Electronic Medical/Health Records
- Enhanced quality and convenience in healthcare: EMRs and EHRs make the availability of complete documents at a time without any error which facilitates exact diagnosis and commencement of treatment. With everything online, referring to old reports, analyzing current symptoms and making a diagnosis becomes much easier.
- Saves time by escalating the process: It gets you rid of filling the same form again and again in different medical and healthcare facilities especially during emergencies. Patient’s admission, discharge, and referral to other segments become quick, effortless, and time-saving.
- Fosters doctor-patient relationship: Electronic health records enhance communication between doctors and patients. Doctors can update patients about their schedules and instruct with all the care to be taken in a given scenario. Quick communication even results in early detection of diseases and helps patients in many ways. It fosters a relationship between doctor and patient which results in better healthcare online.
- Better coordination is established: Electronic health records enable quick access to patient records by different providers. With improved information sharing, scalable details, and updated figures, better coordination is established among different healthcare entities to render quality online healthcare services.
- Efficient and cost saving services: There is no doubt that overall efficiency of the services increases with quick sharing of data, online appointment booking, electronic prescription, quick cancellations, and quick availability of lab results. Even the confidentiality of data is ensured which appeals to the patients.
Overall improvement in healthcare: Doctors are busy with their practices and patients are busy in their lives. In such a scenario, the obsolete way of taking an appointment, waiting for consultation, doctors preparing the prescription, labs waiting for a diagnosis to conduct tests, and pharmacies juggling with a prescription to sell medicines to the patients will only deteriorate the rising demand for online healthcare services. The emergence of electronic health records is really a great boon to the online healthcare industry which is changing the experience of service providers as well as the patients to a greater extent.