Sprouty cutlet/tikki - Preparation time (15 - 20 minutes)
Soaking and sprouting time approx. 11 hrs
- Green Moong Sprouts- 2cups
- Brown chana sprouts- ½ cup
- Onion- 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Spring Onion Greens- ¼ cup finely chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1tsp
- Green Chilli- 1 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
- Coriander Powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp
- Black pepper- ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Black salt- ½ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp (as per taste)
- Cooking oil for shallow frying
- If needed use corn flour/ gram flour to bind paste.
Sprouts are the powerhouse of nutrients, they help to improve immunity, blood sugar levels, digestion, heart and bone health. Additionally, the overnight sprouting process enhances nutritional values such as fiber, carbohydrates, protein, calcium, folate, vitamin C, K, potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and antioxidants to manifolds.
- In a big bowl add whole moong and Chana, soak overnight with enough water or for 5-6 hrs.
- Drain all the water and keep it in a muslin cloth or in an airtight box for 4-5 hrs.
- Transfer soaked sprouts in a blender jar, blend the sprouted moong and chana along with little water and make smooth paste.
- Shift it in a bowl and add all the ingredients, combine well.
- Take small portion of paste and roll out into small ball then press it with palm to give tikki shape.
- Make all the tikki by using same method.
- Heat non-stick flat pan with very little oil, place all the tikkis and cook till they turn golden brown in color from both the sides.
- Serve hot with green homemade chutney. Avoid sauce, pickle or any processed chutneys.
Fruit salad with seeds - Preparation time (10 - 15 minutes)
- Red/green apple- ½ (roughly chopped)
- Orange - ½ (medium size)
- Pomegranate seeds- ½ cup
- Pineapple- 1 slice(chopped)
- Pears- ½ (chopped)
- Fresh guava- ½ (chopped)
- Papaya - only 4-6 small pieces or 1 slice (optional)
- Kiwi- ½ (peeled & chopped)
- Strawberries- ½ cup (chopped roughly)
- Black berries- ½ cup
- Sesame and flaxseeds- 1-2 tsp
- Pumpkin- sunflower seeds- 1-2 tsp
- Curd/ yogurt- ½ cup
- Chat masala- 1tsp (Optional)
- Rock/black salt- 1tsp
Low glycemic fruits used in this recipe are highly beneficial for diabetic people. They are rich source of fiber, water, essential vitamins and minerals which helps in boosting immunity, reduces the risk of obesity, cancer, heart diseases and indigestion. Important minerals present in seeds also helps to regulate blood glucose at normal levels.
- Remove seeds from the fruits such as apple, papaya, pear, blueberries.
- Roughly cut all the fruits and transfer them to a big bowl.
- Add curd or yogurt mix well now add pomegranate seeds and sprinkle chaat masala (if using) and salt, toss well. Serve directly and enjoy.
(Fruits to be avoided- Diabetic person who is having maintained blood sugar level or less than 200 mg/dl can consume 100-120 gms of suggested fruits. If blood sugar level is more than 300mg/dl than all fruits even suggested fruits also should be totally avoided for specific period of time.
Fruit juices spike blood sugar levels quickly which can lead to hyperglycemia or can exhibit bad effects on other organs. So please avoid any fruit juice especially if sugar level is more than 150mg/dl.
Suggested fruits- Apple, plum, peaches, pears, orange, musambi, kiwi, avocado, all berries. Papaya, pineapple, watermelon in moderate amounts or 1 medium slice in a day.
Karela lemon juice with an exciting twist - Preparation time (45 - 50 minutes)
- Bitter gourd - 1 medium
- Red/green apple (roughly chopped)- 1 medium (1 cup)
- Lemon juice- 2-3 tsp
- Cucumber- ½ cup (chopped)
- Mint leaves- 8-10 leaves
- White salt- 1-2 tsp (to marinate)
- Black/ rock salt- 2 pinch for juice
- Black pepper- 2 pinch
- Water as required
Karela lemon juice is an excellent beverage for diabetics, the ingredients present in this juice helps to control blood glucose level, naturally. Karela and lemon are naturally health promoting, high in dietary fibre, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin A, C, E, B complex, along with useful antioxidants. Also, highly beneficial to reduce the risk of heart diseases, blood pressure, obesity and hormonal disfunctions.
- Peel roughly the bitter gourd outer skin (if desired) and wash properly.
- Remove all the seeds (if they are hard) from inside and cut remaining part into small pieces.
- Marinate with salt and lemon juice and keep it aside for 25-30 mins.
- Wash marinated bitter gourd with fresh water for 2-3 times. Strain all the water.
- Now combine all the ingredients in a blender along with 1 cup of water. Blend it properly.
- Strain the juice to remove all the solid parts. Serve chilled juice in a glass with ice cubes.
Chicken soup - Preparation time (25 - 30 minutes)
- Chicken breast- 100 gms (skinless, boneless & chop into small pieces)
- Spinach- 50 gms
- Onion- 1 small (chopped)
- Carrot- 1 medium (finely chopped or grated)
- Bottle gourd- 1cup (peeled and chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Tomato- 1 chopped
- Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1-2
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1-2tsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Oil- 1tsp
Chicken soup is a fantastic choice for non-vegetarians. It has high biological value protein, selenium, iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A, B3, B6, B12 and D. Vegetables used in this recipe also high in dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals that improve blood glucose, blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add cumin seeds, ginger-garlic paste, onion, bay leaves and carrot, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add bottle gourd, spinach and tomato, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all dry spices combine it, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes again.
- Add chicken pieces and mix, appropriately cook for 2-3 minutes then add 2 cups of water and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn off the flame when chicken pieces are properly cooked and discard bay leaf.
- Now add lemon juice stir well, garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Mix veg soup - Preparation time (25 - 30 minutes)
- Tomatoes- 2 (roughly chopped)
- Spinach- 1 cup (chopped)
- Carrot- ½ cup (chopped)
- Onion-1/2 cup (roughly chopped)
- Cabbage- ¼ cup (roughly chopped)
- Capsicum- ½ medium size (roughly chopped)
- Bottle gourd- ½ cup
- Beetroot- ¼ cup (roughly chopped optional)
- Coriander leaves- 2-3 tbsp (chopped)
- Green chili- 1-2 chopped (optional)
- Black pepper- ¼ tsp
- Ginger- 1-inch piece (1/4 tsp grated)
- Garlic- 2 cloves (chopped optional)
- Black salt/ rock salt- to taste
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Olive oil- 1 tsp
Vegetable soup is low in calorie, rich source of fiber, antioxidants many vitamins and minerals. They are extremely beneficial for maintaining blood glucose, blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels, it also helps to reduce obesity, kidney problems and other hormonal disorders.
- Place pressure cooker on a medium flame. Heat oil for few seconds then add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, onion, green chili and cook for 1 minute. Stir occasionally.
- Add carrots, capsicum, cabbage, beetroot, spinach, bottle gourd, tomato, combine properly and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add coriander leaves and 1-2 cups of water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Wait for some time, allow the steam to escape before opening the cooker.
- Transfer it to the bowl, let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Now blend it properly to blend all solid parts.
- Again, heat non-stick pan and transfer the soup paste into it, now add salt, black pepper and few coriander leaves.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame (add little water if soup is very thick) stir continuously. Serve hot.
Mix millets chapati - Preparation time (15 - 20 minutes)
If you are accustomed to eating chapati, you are highly recommended to introduce yourself and your family to this amazing mix millet chapati for daily consumption.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 50gms (2 cup)
- Ragi Flour – 40 gm
- Bajra flour- 30 gms
- Jowar flour- 30 gm
- Ajwain- 1tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
This multi millet chapati is enriched with good quality dietary fiber, protein, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus other vitamins and minerals. Millets used in this recipe are gluten free, low in glycemic, helps in treating pre-mature ageing, hormonal dysfunction, maintain blood sugar level, blood cholesterol, triglycerides level at normal range and also have anti-cancer properties.
- Take multi millet atta, salt & ajwain in a bowl, add water and knead to make a tight dough.
- Cover & keep the dough for 5 minutes to set.
- Divide dough in equal balls and make chapati with the help of chapati board and roller.
- Heat a skillet on medium flame, place a chapati on it, cook from both the sides for few seconds.
- Take out from skillet and put it directly on high flame burner, flip immediately for 2-3 times.
- Remove from flame and serve hot with manchurian or other vegetables curry.
Brown rice khichdi with lentils and vegetables - Preparation time (45 - 50 minutes)
- Brown rice- 1 cup (Red or black rice can be the substitute of brown rice)
- Lentil- ½ cup (as per the choice) (moong, tuar, masoor etc.)
- Bottle gourd - ½ cup (peeled and chopped)
- Ridge gourd- ¼ cup (peeled and chopped)
- Tomato- 1 cup (chopped)
- Peas- ¼ cup
- Capsicum- ½ cup (chopped)
- Onion- 1 finely chopped
- Carrot- ½ cup (chopped)
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Green chili- 1 chopped
- Ginger paste- 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chili- 1tsp
- Oil/ghee- 2tsp
This recipe contains good amounts of dietary fibers, magnesium, zinc, manganese, selenium, copper, potassium, calcium, vitamin A, C, K, B1, B2, B6, folate(B9), phytonutrients, along with antioxidants such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and β-carotene. It is highly beneficial for maintaining blood glucose levels.
- Wash rice and lentils together for 2-3 times and drain all the water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pressure cooker on medium flame, add cumin, mustard seeds, onion, peas, carrot, capsicum and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add lauki, torai, stir and again cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all the spices and tomato, combine properly then cook for 1-2 minutes. stir occasionally.
- Add washed rice and lentils mix properly, add 2 ½ cups of water. (water varies with quality of rice).
- Cover the cooker with the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles on medium flame then lower the heat and cook for another 5 minutes, turn off the flame. Wait for 5-10 minutes before opening the lid of cooker.
- Serve hot directly or with curd/ gravy.
strictly once a month
Peanut chikki - Preparation time (40 - 45 minutes)
- Peanuts- 1 cup (Roasted and crushed)
- Jaggery powder- 50 gms (stevia powder- 2 tbsp)
- Water- 2 tbsp
- Ghee for greasing the plate
Special sweet for diabetics
Sweet cravings for diabetics (yes, you have seen it right reward yourself/spouse/family member with some safe & healthy desserts occasionally & during festivals to satisfy your sweet tooth only if you have “good control” of your blood sugar levels.
Peanut chikki when taken in recommended amounts, helps to maintain blood sugar in a healthy way. It is an instant source of energy, protein, mono-unsaturated fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Grease the backside of medium size plate with ghee or butter.
- Heat a non-sticky pan or kadhai add jaggery powder along with 2 tbsp water.
- Start to stir with a spoon or spatula, so that all the jaggery gets dissolved.
- Cook the jaggery syrup on a low flame with regular stirrings for 8-10 minutes or check the syrup in a bowl of cold water.
- While cooking the syrup after 5 minutes put the drop of jaggery syrup in a bowl of cold water if it breaks then cook for another 3-5 minutes. It should be firm, brittle and break or snap easily.
- Add all the crushed roasted peanuts quickly in the jaggery syrup, mix them properly.
- Switch off the flame and transfer it to the greased plate.
- Give proper layer and shape with the rolling pin (belan).
- Cut chikki in horizontal and vertical shape.
- Once they cooled, break and serve peanut chikki immediately or store then in an airtight container for later use.
Chicken Manchurian - Preparation time (35 - 40 minutes)
- Boneless chicken- 150 gms (minced or mashed) (Chicken can be substituted with cauliflower, paneer, tofu).
- Egg white- 1 (optional)
- Onion – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Capsicum- ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1-2 tbsp
- Garlic- 4-5 cloves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Spring onion- ¼ cup
- Black pepper- ¼ tsp
- Red chili- ¼ tsp (optional)
- Soya sauce- 2 tsp
- Tomato puree- ½ cup or (tomato ketchup 1 tsp -not more than that) optional
- Corn flour- 2-3 tbsp (substitute wheat flour)
- Lemon juice- 1-2 tsp
- Oil-1-2 tsp (Olive oil, mustard oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil)
- Oil for shallow frying- 2-3 tbsp
- Water as required
Chicken Manchurian, when prepared at home is one of the nutritious and tasty recipes that contain high biological value protein, vitamin A, D, K, B12, lutein, selenium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, biotin, choline and folate. This low carbohydrate recipe helps to maintain blood sugar levels and other diseases.
For Manchurian balls
- In a bowl combine minced chicken, egg white, salt, black pepper, red chili (if using), 1 tsp soya sauce, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and 1-2 tbsp corn flour. (as per consistency)
- Combine well and make thick batter. (use water if required because batter should not be so sticky or not so dry). Keep it aside for 2-3 mins.
- Heat the oil for shallow frying in a flat non-stick pan, put small portion of batter like small ball or like kofta.
- Cook properly from all the sides till they are golden brown and crisp. Stir occasionally, so it will not be overcooked from any side.
- Mix 1tbsp corn flour in 1 cup of water. Mix and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, then add chopped garlic, ginger garlic paste, onions, capsicum, spring onions. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add soya sauce, tomato puree or ketchup, lemon juice, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add corn flour water mix well and allow it to boil for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add all chicken balls and coat them with sauce, cook for 2-3- minutes so that they can absorb sauce properly. (you can add little water if sauce becomes thick).
- Stir well and serve hot with mix flour chapati/ millets chapati/ brown rice etc.
Note - You can adjust the consistency of sauce/ gravy, by adjusting the quantity of corn flour and water.
All the recipes have been tastefully curated by expert nutritionist, dieticians and biochemists keeping in consideration specific health conditions, diseases and deficiencies. However, portions sizes and restrictions to certain ingredients in the recipes should be managed according to persons medical condition and BMI strictly. You are encouraged to check with your nutritionist/dietician once, before commencing with these recipes.