PREVENTIVE HOME TIPS
Upon detection with PCOD & PCOS, women tend to get very anxious. They often resort to guilt, depression and feeling of uncertainty about their looks, marriage & fertility related issues. But the good news is that with simple measures, the ill effects of PCOD can be minimized to manifolds.
For weight reduction
Women with PCOS usually have fat deposits accumulated in lower parts of the body and belly region particularly. It is a fact that women with PCOD find it very difficult to lose weight than women without PCOS. But having said that, we cannot ignore the extra kilos piled up especially around the belly area.
Daily activities to be done:
- 45 mins of brisk walking daily.
- Sipping lukewarm lemon water with honey (300ml).
- Flaxseeds & mixed assorted nuts (handful 100grms).
- 100 rope- skips or 100 sit ups or 50 leg raises in 4 sets alternatively. (Every morning or evening)
- Eating low carb and high fiber meals throughout the year.
All the above ensures a gradual weight reduction of 2.5 kgs per month naturally.
For Facial hair & acne reduction
- Laser treatment, hair threading & waxing are modern ways to get rid of dense facial hair & acne blemishes.
- Application of a thin layer of honey mixed with wheat flour as a scrub not only reduces facial hair but also brings a glow on the face.
- Turmeric is a natural antimicrobial with skin repairing properties. Application of turmeric packs will help in reducing acne and blemishes.
- Neem & sandalwood pastes are also excellent options to control acne in women with PCOS.
- In case the acne & facial hair outbursts uncontrollably, do not hesitate to speak with a dermatologist.
For regularization of menstruation cycle
- Yoga exercises mentioned in the exercise section can be of great help in regularization of menstrual cycle.
- Primrose oil helps in regularization as well as pain relief during menstruation, however you are urged to check with a gynecologist primarily to know the right dose for you.
- Compulsorily maintain a healthy weight especially if you have PCOS. You can incorporate running, jogging & other physical activities along with a balanced diet as a part of daily regime. Substantial evidence hints that being overweight may disrupt or delay the onset of natural periods.
- Sometimes in case of no periods for 2 months or extremely heavy periods, hormones like estrogen & vitamins such as B12, vitamin D and other medicines may be administered under doctor’s supervision to induce onset or regularize the cycle.
- Research is suggestive that ginger, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, papaya and iron rich foods such as spinach are excellent nature’s gift to ensure regular flow of periods.
For controlling mood swings
- Take herbal teas such as jasmine, rose and other flavors to feel relaxed & good. Also surrounding yourself with aroma & wearing a good smell boosts your confidence along with mood upliftment. It actually helps in elevation of mood and suppressing erratic mood swings.
- Avoid excessive caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. They lead to anxiety, complete disruption of mood, unwanted nervous conditions and sometimes organ damages.
- Identify certain triggers which disrupt your thought process and mood. Firstly, try and avoid the triggers as much as possible. Secondly, learn the art of handling such triggers either by mind over situations or other possible psychological & physical ways.
- Spend time with people you like, go for movies, lunches/dinners. Eating dark chocolate, tasty healthy balanced meals and playing with children have remarkable good effects to keep mood swing at bay.
- Psychologist & experts dealing with depressive mood disorders claim that adopting & taking care of pets have really helped patients cope up with their conditions and reduce stress levels.
- Taking a trip once in 3 months is an excellent way to set all the negative chords right. Never allow your mood swings to sway in the depressive mode for more than 2 weeks. Speak with an expert to come on top of your condition.
For increasing the chances of fertility
- During PCOS, many genetic and environmental factors play a significant role in fertility. Know your cycle properly, lose weight if you are overweight to increase the chances of fertility to manifolds.
- Practice intercourse during ovulation time, take help of an ovulation checker or your gynae to guide you with the near accurate dates so that you conceive.
- Reduce alcohol & smoking. They often cause major hinderances in conceiving.
- Both you & your partner should keep stress at bay. Change of place, good food and ambience can help each other naturally to overcome stressful conditions.
- There is no sure shot miraculous foods which help you conceive, however certain fishes rich in omega 3 such as salmon and hilsa and other food items like blueberries, yogurt, almonds, walnuts, olive oil, soy protein and eggs are known to promote fertility in both men & women.
For hair fall
- Women with PCOS often undergo tremendous or gradual hair loss. They may also suffer from spot baldness or alopecia. Alopecia does not have a permanent cure however; certain remedies can help in controlling hair fall.
- Use a wide toothbrush always, do not brush wet hair vigorously, use oil or a detangling serum to manage your hair while combing.
- Use a mixture of castor oil 1/4th, coconut oil 1/4th, almond oil 1/4th, and olive oil or hibiscus oil 1/4th on clean washed scalp twice a week at least before shampooing for hair growth and nourishment.
- Consume assorted nuts, spinach, biotin and iron supplements for re-growth and strengthening of hair.
- Minimum usage of hair straighteners and hair styling products is recommended
- If alopecia (baldness) is getting worse then consult a dermatologist/Trichologist immediately without any further delay. Some conditions need medical help.
- Last but not the least, stress is one of the major factors leading to hair fall, hence stop excessive worrying about the hair loss. This may further aggravate your condition and do worse than good.
- Medical investigations are suggestive that there is a direct connection between PCOS & depression. Detection of PCOS itself brings a sense of guilt, anger, sadness and depression, especially after knowing that PCOS is an irreversible condition. Good news is that this condition can be very well managed.
- Consume 2 pieces of dark chocolate (10-15gms) to feel good and combat depression, if required.
- Join dancing classes such as Zumba, Salsa and other forms of art/hobbies for adequate dopamine release and feel good factor along with daily physical activity to drive feeling of worthlessness.
- Speak with an expert if needed, and understand that facial hair, obesity, looks everything can be altered and brought to normalcy with modern techniques and sheer self-motivation.
- Last but not the least, infertility is not the end of “motherhood”. Gynae intervention, IVF, Surrogacy and adoption are also the best ways to embrace parenthood.