Vermicelli adai (cheela) - Preparation time (45 - 50 minutes)
- Vermicelli (sevaiyan) – 1 cup
- Rice flour– 1-2 tbsp
- Roasted semolina - ½ cup
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Fresh curd – ½ - 1 cup
- Black pepper– ½ tsp
- Asafetida (hing)– ¼ teaspoon
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – few (chopped)
- Coriander leaves- 1tbsp
- Carrot- 2 tbsp (Grated)
- Cashewnuts- 5-6 (crushed or finely chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – as required for greasing
Wheat vermicelli cheela is a rich source of protein, fiber, iron, calcium, copper, phosphorus, vitamin A, C, and antioxidants. This recipe is not only beneficial for thyroid, but also for other conditions such as diabetes, heart related problems, digestive diseases and weight management.
- Roast vermicelli with little ghee, till it turns light brown in colour. Keep it aside for some time.
- Separately, beat curd in a bowl for few seconds and add roasted vermicelli, semolina and rice flour, now make thick batter with required water. Keep aside for half an hour.
- After half an hour add all the ingredients, spices and salt to the sevaiyan mixture. Combine well.
- Heat the non-stick pan or tawa and grease with little oil. Take a big spoonful of sevaiyan mixture and spread it like thick dosa/ cheela. Pour oil around it if required.
- Cover and cook for a minute on low-medium flame then turn from the other side. Cook till it turns little golden from both the sides.
- Serve hot with homemade chutney.
Thyroid healing smoothie - Preparation time (5 - 10 minutes)
- Orange- 1 small (peeled and without seeds)
- Pear- 1 cup (roughly chopped)
- Apple (green or red)- ½ cup (roughly chopped)
- Pomegranate- 2tbsp
- Brazil nuts- 3-4 (crushed)
- Almonds- 3-4 (crushed)
- Mint- 2-3 leaves
- Mix seeds (pumpkin and chia seeds)- 1-2 tsp
- Curd- 2-3 tbsp
- Salt- 2 pinch
This smoothie is an excellent blend to balance hormones, it also helps to hydrate and detoxify the body. It contains fibre, vitamin A, B, C, E, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, copper and a variety of antioxidants.
- Soak chia seeds in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Now in a blender jar add nuts and all the other ingredients, except seeds, blend it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water if required to liquify it further.
- Pour the smoothie in a glass. Now add all the seeds. Serve immediately.
Thyroid friendly Indian meals
Buckwheat flour tortilla with daily curries or dal - Preparation time (10 - 15 minutes)
- Buckwheat flour- 2 cups
- Wheat flour- ½ - 1 cup (as required)
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Water as required (to make a tight dough)
Buckwheat tortilla is a good source of protein, iron, dietary fiber, variety of antioxidants and other nutrients. It doesn’t contain gluten, so it is good for people who have gluten allergy or intolerance. Additionally, it is highly beneficial for heart, digestive system, reducing body weight, managing hormonal imbalance and sugar levels.
- In a big bowl or a plate add buckwheat flour, wheat flour and salt. Knead a tight dough by using sufficient water. keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Again, knead the dough properly for 1 minute before using.
- Take a small portion of dough and make medium sized ball.
- Make chapati with the help of rolling board and rolling pin by sprinkling dry wheat flour.
- To cook chapati heat a griddle (tawa) on medium flame, place chapati on tawa, cook for some seconds.
- When one side is properly cooked, turn the other side and cook for few seconds.
- Now put the chapati directly on burner for few seconds, turn immediately for 2-3 times, cook properly from both the sides.
- Remove from the flame immediately, coat with little ghee.
- Serve hot with dal & curry.
Note- (Not recommended for people with gluten intolerance) (Hashimoto's thyroiditis)
Veg recipe for thyroid
Mushroom and chickpeas with garlic - Preparation time (20 - 25 minutes)
- Boiled chickpeas- 1 cup (drained and rinsed)
- Mushrooms- ½ cup (chopped or sliced)
- Garlic- 4-6 cloves (chopped or paste)
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Onion- 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato- 1 medium (chopped)
- Red chili- ½ tsp
- Black pepper- ½ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Oil- 2 tsp (Olive oil, virgin coconut oil, sunflower oil, peanuts oil)
This recipe is loaded with minerals such as copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, sulfur, iron, vitamin B, C and D. Due to its high antioxidant composition this recipe is ideal for endocrine problems such as thyroid, PCOD, and diabetes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium flame.
- Add cumin seeds, onions, garlic and mushrooms, now cook for 5-7 minutes or cook them till they turn golden brown.
- Add all the spices and tomato, cook for few more minutes, stir well in intervals.
- Finally add boiled chickpeas and 1 cup of water.
- Combine properly and cook for 5-10 minutes or until it cooks completely.
- Serve hot with tortillas.
Non-veg recipe for thyroid
Sesame garlic shrimp - Preparation time (25 - 30 minutes)
- Shrimp- 6-8 pieces (Substitute it with skinless boneless chicken and fish (sardines, salmon, tuna, rohu) if you are allergic to shrimp.)
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Butter- 1tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green chili- 1 chopped
- Turmeric- ½ tsp
- Groundnut paste- 2-3 tsp (optional)
- Sesame seeds 3-4 tsp
- Black pepper- 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cinnamon powder- ½ tsp
- Chicken or veg broth / stock- ½ cup
- Coriander leaves chopped- 2 tbsp
This recipe helps in improving thyroid health, immune system and bone health. Shrimps, sesame & garlic are good sources of selenium, iodine, protein, dietary fiber, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, iron, copper, vitamin E and vitamin B complex and most importantly Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium flame, place shrimp pieces and fry until it turns pink in color properly from all the sides.
- Add salt, cinnamon powder, black pepper and mix well.
- Transfer all the shrimps from pan to plate. Keep aside.
- Heat butter in a same pan now add ginger garlic paste, green chili and stir well.
- Add groundnut paste and sesame seeds mix together, cook for few seconds then add chicken or veg broth /stock.
- Allow it to boil, now add all the shrimps into the boiled water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle little black pepper and salt as per taste.
- Finally add lemon juice and coriander leaves, stir well.
- Switch off the flame and serve with brown rice/ chapati.
Cabbage 65 - Preparation time (25 - 30 minutes)
- Cabbage- 5-7 leaves (chopped into medium pieces)
- Water- 2 cups (for boiling)
- Salt- 2-3 tsp
- Black Pepper- 1 tsp
- Asafetida (Hing)- 2 pinch
- Ginger garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
- Curd- 2 tbsp
- Rice flour- 2-3 tbsp
- Corn flour- 2 tbsp
- Besan - 1tbsp (optional)
- Oil for shallow frying (as required)
- Water if required
- For tadka:
- Chopped garlic- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Green chili- 1-2 chopped
- Tomato puree- 2-4 tbsp
- Oil- 1 tsp
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable, highly rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is good to have it in cooked form only; raw cabbage in a salad may interfere with the production of thyroid hormone especially if one is having an iodine deficiency.
- Boil water along with cabbage and little salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain all the water and soak the cabbage on cloth for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer it into a bowl, now add salt, hing, black pepper, red chili, ginger garlic paste and curd. Combine well.
- Now add rice flour, corn flour and besan if using, mix well and make paste with water if required.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, now place cabbage paste on the pan in round shape to shallow fry, cook till it turns to golden color from both the sides. Keep it aside for a while.
- In a separate frying pan heat little oil, add cumin seeds, chopped garlic, green chili, salt and tomato puree. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve cabbage fritters/ cabbage 65 with homemade sauce or tadka.
Brown rice with spinach and peas - Preparation time (15 - 20 minutes)
- Brown rice- 1 ½ cup
- Spinach- 1 cup (chopped)
- Peas- ¼ cup
- Carrot- ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato- ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Ghee- 1tsp
- Water as required (depends on variety of rice)
This recipe is a powerhouse for vegetarians with good amount of dietary fibers, magnesium, zinc, manganese, selenium, copper, potassium, calcium, vitamin A, C, K, B1, B2, B6, folate(B9), along with antioxidants such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and β-carotene. Ideal for thyroid, diabetes, and heart disorders.
- Wash rice 2-3 times properly, drain all the water.
- Add rice and all the ingredients in a pressure cooker with sufficient water.
- Cover pressure cooker with the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles on medium flame.
- Switch of the flame and wait for 5-10 minutes before opening the lid of pressure cooker.
- Serve hot with banana kofta curry or with curd/ gravy.
Egg fried brown rice with garlic - Preparation time (25 - 30 minutes)
- Eggs- 2 whole
- Brown rice- 1 cup (cooked)
- Garlic paste- 2-3 tsp
- Ginger paste- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Cloves- 3-4
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Black pepper- 4-5 or powder- 1tsp
- Tomato-1/4 cup
- Sesame seeds- 1-2 tsp
- Onion- 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Carrot- ½ cup (finely chopped or grated)
- Spring onion- 1-2 tbsp chopped
- Broccoli-1/2 cup (chopped)
- Peas- ½ cup
- Oil/ homemade ghee- 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soy sauce- 1-2 tsp optional (not more than that)
Egg & garlic has many powerful vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which helps to protect the thyroid gland against oxidative damages and also supports in the production of thyroid hormone.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick frying pan, scramble both the eggs, cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil, add cumin seeds, cloves, black pepper and ginger garlic paste, mix well.
- Add onion and cook until it turns transparent. Now add carrot, peas, tomato, spring onion and broccoli. Cover and cook for 3-5 mins, stir occasionally.
- Add cooked brown rice, turmeric, salt and soy sauce, mix well.
- Now add egg scramble and combine properly.
- Switch off the flame, garnish with coriander leaves and serve directly or with raita/ curry.
Green banana kofta curry - Preparation time (30 - 35 minutes)
- Green raw bananas - 2 (medium size)
- Gram flour(Besan) - 2 tablespoons
- Green Chilly - 1 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Paneer- 100 gms (grated or mashed) (optional)
- Salt - 1tsp
- Onion - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Oil for shallow frying
- For curry:
- Tomato puree -1 cup
- Green Chili - 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
- Onion paste - ½ cup
- Oil- 1 tablespoon (Sunflower, safflower, peanut, olive oil, virgin coconut oil)
- Asafetida - 1 pinch
- Cumin seed- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Kasuri methi leaves- 1-2 tsp (optional)
- Red chili - ¼ tsp
- Black pepper - ¼ tsp
- Garam masala- ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Warm milk- ½ cup
Green banana kofta curry has many health benefits and it is found to be extremely good for thyroid related conditions. It can be taken for other hormonal disorders like PCOD, diabetes along with other co-existing conditions such as hypertension, heart disorders, digestive disorders. This recipe is low in glycemic index and rich in dietary fibers, potassium, magnesium, protein, calcium, vitamin C and B complex.
- Boil water add raw banana in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. When the bananas are cooked, take it out in a plate and allow it to cool completely.
- Remove the skin from banana and mash it properly, now adds besan, green chilli, chopped coriander, onion, turmeric, paneer and salt.
- Combine them properly and make all the koftas like tikki or cutlet. If paste becomes stickier, add little besan in it.
- Heat a pan on medium flame and add oil for shallow frying, place few koftas on pan and cook till it turns golden brown from both the sides.
- Keep aside all the prepared koftas.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, crackle cumin seeds.
- Add hing, ginger garlic paste, onion paste and green chili, fry till it turns golden brown in color.
- Add all spices, kasuri methi and tomato puree, mix well and cook till it starts leaving oil from the sides. Stir occasionally.
- Add milk and 1 cup water stir, allow it to boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all koftas and again cook for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Spread chopped coriander leaves, mix and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.
All the recipes have been tastefully curated by expert nutritionist, dieticians and biochemists keeping in consideration specific health conditions, diseases and deficiencies. However, portions sizes and restrictions to certain ingredients in the recipes should be managed according to persons medical condition and BMI strictly. You are encouraged to check with your nutritionist/dietician once, before commencing with these recipes.