The superfood “papaya” needs no introduction. But you would definitely love to know as how falling in love with this fruit can give you multi-fold benefits. Every part of your body system would be thankful to you for consuming papayas on a regular basis. And there are reasons for it. One of the most mind-blowing fact is that, one small papaya contains 300% of your daily requirement of vitamin C. So, if you consume one small cup of papaya daily, your 100% need for Vitamin C will be met easily. Isn’t it wonderful? But there are more on the list to know and embrace this wonder fruit in your daily diet.
Amazing properties of power-packed papaya
#1. High in Fiber:
Papayas are rich in dietary fiber which is badly needed by our digestive system.
- The fibers facilitate easy digestion, keeping our colon clean and healthy. It also keeps our intestine safe from infections and inflammation.
- The nutrients present in the fiber absorb cancer causing toxins and prevent colon cancer to a significant level.
- The fibers also nourish the gut-friendly bacteria and maintain the balance of microorganisms in our digestive system.
#2. Richness of vitamins and minerals:
Papayas are replete with vitamins including an abundant amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin A. This exotic fruit is also packed with a punch of other minerals like copper, magnesium, iron, calcium and manganese in larger amounts.
- The presence of Vitamin C in papaya minimizes the risk of colon cancer. It helps to protect colon cells from free radical damage.
- Vitamin C aids in building a strong and healthy immune system and prevents recurrent cold, flu and ear infections.
- The high dose of Vitamin C and Vitamin A protects inflammatory polyarthritis and strengthens eye sight naturally.
- The minerals help in controlling blood pressure and heart rate.
#3. Richness of antioxidants:
Antioxidants protect the cells from damage caused by free radicals which are produced in the body from exposure to alcohol, heavy metals, cigarette smoke, and radiation from the sun.
- The antioxidant, including carotenoids present in papaya, helps to neutralize free radicals in the body.
- The high lycopene content in papaya helps to prevent macular degeneration and cancer.
- It foils cholesterol build-up in the arteries hence, impedes heart attack and hypertension.
#4. Richness of Vitamin P (Bioflavonoids):
Bioflavonoids are present in the foods that are rich in Vitamin C. Papaya is one such source which has a huge amount of bioflavonoids.
- Bioflavonoids help to prevent bruising and abnormal bleeding in the body.
- The combined effect of bioflavonoids and Vitamin C reduces the risk of cancer and heart diseases. They also promote blood circulation, strengthen the blood vessels and protect our body against a number of infections.
Papaya for your skin
You longed for a smooth, flawless and supple skin. But did you ever think to use papaya from your backyard as a face mask to enhance beauty?
Well! This locally available nature’s gift can give your skin a splendid look in one go.
Take freshly ripe papaya pulp and mix it with honey, cucumber juice, banana or other fruit juice based on your skin type and apply it twice a week to moisten your skin and remove blemishes.
Other benefits of papaya face pack
- Topical application of papaya pulp in the form of face pack will give you beautiful, glowing, acne-free, clear and fairer skin.
- It hydrates the skin and increases skin elasticity, firmness and collagen.
- Helps to reduce the skin damage caused by UV rays.
- Helps to rejuvenate the skin, reduces wrinkles, dark spots and lightens the skin complexion.
Make healthy choices with papaya on your plate!
Word of Caution: An allergy to papaya is possible, especially if you are allergic to mangoes, pistachio, or cashew. Cross-reactivity between different food items taken along with papaya can also lead to some symptoms like delayed contact dermatitis. Studies reveal that people develop allergy to variety of fruits, and papaya could be one of them, especially the raw papaya. If you notice any unusual symptom or discomfort after having papayas, then get yourself medically diagnosed from your healthcare provider.