It is believed that homeopathy originated in Germany in the late 18th century. Samuel Hahnemann, also referred as the “father of homeopathy”, was the first to introduce effective healing properties from extracts of plants, metals, and minerals. He conducted medicinal trials on himself, and interestingly, on willing volunteers known as “provers”. He then carefully recorded all the symptoms that each substance caused and created a provers union, laying the primitive but strong foundation of homeopathy.
How does homeopathy work?
Homeopathy is considered as the “world’s second largest therapeutic system in use,” supported by historical and scientific evidence, however, it’s belief in natural art of healing, leaves many unanswered conclusions till date.
This branch of science specifically stresses that, body can cure itself by the help of formulations curated by homeopaths which are extracts from plants and animal origins. The basic principle behind homeopathy is “like cures like”. In simple terms, a substance or any medical formulation, that brings on symptoms in a healthy person can, in a very small dose, treat diseases/conditions with similar symptoms. This is meant to trigger the body’s natural defences.
Popularity & demand of homeopathy in India
- In India, after allopathy and Ayurveda, homeopathy is the third most practiced medical treatment.
- In India, there are 100 plus homeopathic medical schools and around 250,000 homeopathic doctors, which proves the growing demand and popularity of homeopathy among Indian people.
- Indian government has set up a Central Council of Homeopathy (CCH) to regulate education and practice of homeopathy and it’s offering various courses in homeopathic field including diplomas.
- India also leads in terms of number of people using homeopathy, with approximately 100 million people depending solely on homeopathy for their medical care.
- 15 insurance companies currently are providing coverage to homoeopathy in India.
Mechanism of action & laws of Homeopathy
- Hippocrates – The Father of Medicine from Ancient Greece said, there are two Laws of Healing 1) The Law of Opposites and 2) The Law of Similars.
- Homeopathy treats the patient with medicines using the Law of similars. In other words, a substance or any medical formulation, that brings on symptoms in a healthy person can, in a very small dose, treat an illness with similar symptoms. This triggers the body’s natural defences. As confirmed by clinical observation, this system of medicine has been used to treat patients effectively and safely, whereas orthodox medicine uses the Law of Opposites, e.g. antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, anticonvulsants, antihypertensives, anti-depressants, and anti-psychotics.
- The homeopathic practitioner treats the whole body, believing all the symptoms are interrelated and selects a medicinal formulation which most closely covers all the symptoms (Wholistic Approach).
- As confirmed by clinical observation, this system of medicine has been used to treat patients effectively and safely.
- Homeopathic theories are based on principles of the Laws of Nature which do not change, unlike medical theories which are constantly changing, based on medical researches.
- The homeopathic practitioner endeavours to search for and treat the cause of the disease in order to heal the effect. So, Homeopathy is both skill and a science.
Facts about homeopathic formulations
- Homeopathic remedies are non-drowsy and non-habit forming. They cause no toxic side-effects or conflicts with other medicines and are also non-addictive.
- Homeopathic medicine awakens and stimulates the body’s own curative powers. These remedies act as catalysts to set healing into motion.
- Homeopathic remedies are economically less expensive, and treatment is cost effective. There are more than 4,000 homeopathic medicines.
- Homeopathic medicines are tested on healthy individuals of different age groups of humans and not tested on animals.
- Homeopathy assists the body to heal itself, to overcome an illness which brings the patient to a higher level of health whereas modern medicine counters the observable symptoms and suppresses the illness.
- Every Patient is Unique, so homeopathic medicines are individualized (Individual & Unique Approach).
Everyone, at least once, needs to try out Homeopathic formulations because they are organ friendly, as they do not have irreversible impact on heart, intestine, liver & kidney unlike long term allopathy medications. They are environment friendly too, as the waste which is generated is completely biodegradable and limited amount of natural resources are used for the formulations.
Outcomes of homeopathic treatment are measured by their long-term curative effects, and some believers also claim complete eradication of the disease from the body. Some researchers also claim that extensive homeopathy treatment brings relief to cancer patients during progressive conditions.
Hence for long-term mild to chronic conditions such as hair fall, infertility, knee pain, diabetes, asthma, arthritis, PCOD and other chronic lifelong conditions, rather than taking over-the-counter medications, one can safely attempt homeopathic treatment as there are chances it may work well!