About coronavirus (CoV):
The current outbreak of Corona Virus in China is causing health fears among the people worldwide. The death toll continues to rise in China, which confirms its fatal consequences and the severity of combat drive it needs. Coronavirus is a zoonotic virus that is transmitted from animals to humans. The virus can cause illness ranging from common cold to serious ailments like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS CoV) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS CoV). There are seven known strains of coronavirus. With the recent outbreak of pneumonia in Wuhan city, China, the new virus is temporarily named as the Novel Coronavirus (nCoV).
Signs and Symptoms of Coronavirus or COVID-19 Infection:
The symptoms are like normal respiratory infections. Hence, the disease is often confused with normal flu or cold. According to the World Health Organization, the signs and symptoms of coronavirus infection include:
- Running nose
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
In more severe cases, the coronavirus can cause:
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome
- Kidney failure
- Impaired liver and kidney function
How Coronavirus or COVID-19 spread?
Following are a few modes through which the virus can spread from infected individuals to healthy individuals.
- Close contact
- Contaminated surfaces
- Faecal matters
Diagnosis: If you have a cough and cold lasting for more than 4 days, then visit your healthcare provider immediately. Your doctor will recommend nose and throat cultures and other lab tests to check whether your cold infection is caused by coronavirus. If you had a recent travel or contact with animals, then inform your healthcare provider about the same to facilitate easy diagnosis, especially, if you are susceptible to the infection.
Treatment: There are no vaccines currently available for the treatment of Novel Coronavirus (nCoV). The symptoms can be managed based on the patient’s medical condition. A few symptoms like fever, sore throat, and cough can be managed using over-the-counter medicines. Never self-prescribe any medicines. Speak to your doctor before you take any medications. Also, if the symptoms last for a long period, then seek medical help immediately.
Prevention tips from Coronavirus:
- Avoid close contact with the people who have respiratory tract infections such as sneezing, coughing, and cold
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and running water or alcohol-based products
- Avoid direct contact with farm animals or wild animals
- Use disposable tissues while you cough and sneeze. Throw the used tissues into closed bins after every use
- Ensure to cook meats and other poultry products thoroughly
- If you have a fever, cough, and cold for over four days, then speak to your healthcare provider immediately
- Drink enough fluids and stay hydrated
- Take plenty of rest
- Wear a medical mask when heading outdoors to protect yourself from acquiring coronavirus.
How to wear a medical mask?
Yes! Many of us never know how to wear a medical mask and put it the way we like. But to your surprise, the mask needs to be worn properly to prevent spread or contraction of an infection.
The mask has two colours and it is supposed to be used as follows:
Wear the medical mask with the coloured side out if you are sick to avoid spreading the germs around you.
Wear the white side out (the filter part) when you are not sick and want to avoid germs from getting in.
Spread the word and help others stay safe from this deadly infection.