Health is closely related to happiness in human beings. A healthy individual has a positive outlook and enjoys a higher quality of life. Modern diagnostic tests help to control emergency healthcare expenditure, improve patient care, and help medical professionals detect and control any health condition at the right time. These days a number of preventive medical checkups are there and you can also book lab tests online.
There are certain precautions, one must take before going for any diagnostic test. These are certain common points; however, it is always advised to consult the healthcare professional regarding the exact preparation for any given lab test.
- Patients should clearly inform the doctor about any existing health issues or allergies.
- Avoid sugary and spicy foods for a period of 48 hours prior to the diagnostic examination. It also depends on the type of test you will be undergoing and your existing problem.
- Patients should stay away from the use of perfumes, balms, creams etc. on the day of the diagnostic tests.
- Patient undergoing diagnostic test for diabetes should not consumer anything except water for eight to ten hours before a fasting blood glucose test.
- Patients undergoing a blood cholesterol test must not eat anything and drink only water for nine to twelve hours before the test.
- Blood tests for hemoglobin help to diagnose any anemic condition. Anyone going for this test should not consume iron tablets for 24 hours before the test.
- Before going for any test to diagnose liver diseases, the person must not consume alcohol and cigarettes for at least 24 hours prior to the test.
- Patients who are scheduled for any diagnostic test or health checkup should wear comfortable and loose clothes for the test session.
- Patients who have recently undergone any surgery must consult their doctors regarding antibiotic use prior to the diagnostic tests.
- Women undergoing diagnostic tests must inform doctors about pregnancy condition or a current menstrual cycle, if any.
- Patients with infectious diseases must inform the doctor to minimize the risk of disease transmission.
- For other non-specific tests, one should consume light meals and liquids as advised by the healthcare professional.
- Underweight patients must inform their doctors about any specific health conditions or complaints before diagnostic tests.
- Patients with any kind of implant in their body, like the steel rods, retina implant, breast implant etc, must inform their doctor before going for any radiology procedures.
- You must also check the credentials of any diagnostic centre before visiting it.
Precautions to be taken by the healthcare professionals before the diagnostic tests:
- Doctors should use only sterile needles and blood tubes as needed during the diagnostic tests.
- Medical professionals and workers should wear gloves, masks, and gowns prior to administering the patient during a diagnostic test.
- Doctors should encourage the patients with infectious diseases and respiratory diseases to use disposable paper napkins and tissues. They should also be placed away from other patients waiting for the tests.
- Patients and healthcare workers must not eat or drink in patient isolation rooms before, during, and after diagnostic tests.
- Healthcare professionals should conduct hand hygiene and safe injection practices during diagnostic tests.
- Patients and doctors must follow standard healthcare rules and regulations before and during any diagnostic tests.
Precaution is always better than cure and it should be taken at every step, especially, in the healthcare industry. Be informed and be safe!