The new novel coronavirus has taken a toll on human health. The world has gone indoors with “lockdown and shutdown” becoming the way of living to counter the spread of this virus. “Stay home, stay safe!” has become the slogan as it is the most effective way to eliminate the transmission of the virus and deal with the COVID-19 crisis. We all know that the above mentioned words are hard to breathe, but paying a little attention and working together in these hard times can save several lives. Now it’s time to adhere and implement a few basic things to protect and prevent you and your family from the dangerous outbreak of COVID 19. Don’t panic, just read through the article and implement these easy, healthy practices in your home to prevent or slow down the spread of the virus.
12 Simple healthy practices you can follow to protect your family and community from COVID 19 spread:
1. Disinfect the frequently used surfaces like tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, sinks, countertops, faucets, toilets, and other areas with household detergent and water.
2. Educate your family members about the importance of following preventive measures to stop the spread of the virus; like:
- Avoid physical contacts with a sick individual
- Maintain social distancing, stay at least 6 feet apart from others
- If you or your family member feels sick, then get proper medical care. Try to stay away from other individuals
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue while you cough and sneeze
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Dedicate a separate room and bathroom for the sick person to use, if possible
- Practice washing your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water, especially before and after food, before and after using the washroom, after coming from outside, and after you sneeze and cough.
3. Access complete information about COVID 19 from government websites and stay connected with up-to-date information. This will help plan your household activities and may not affect your household routine.
4. Stay connected with your relatives, neighbours, friends, or other family members by phone, social media or email if you are staying alone. If you have compromised health condition or sickness due to the dreadful COVID 19, then stay in touch with the relatives, friends or healthcare providers to inform them about your health conditions, as early as possible.
5. Being confined at home taking care of household work, children, and work can be stressful. Calm yourself as everyone is facing the same situation. Engage yourself in yoga, meditation, exercise at home, cooking, watching TV, and listening music.
6. Discuss with your kids about the outbreak in a positive way and explain as how they are helping in combating the virus transmission by staying at home. Make them feel safe and taken care of.
7. Don’t make your family members or kids watch new stories on the disease flooded up in different TV channels or newspapers. Take frequent breaks from the surrounding stress and connect with your family and friends around you.
8. Physical exercises and yoga are good for your health and well-being. Practice a few home workouts to boost your immunity levels as they increase blood circulation and help to flush out toxins from the body.
9. Keep an eye on your body temperature and check frequently if you are feeling sick.
10. Ensure to create an emergency contact list including the details of public health departments and other community resources to avail support in case of emergencies.
11. Ask your home-maid or other household support to discontinue for a few days. In case you have to make them enter in your house, sanitize their hands before entering. They should also wear a mask while working in your home.
12. Milk packets, newspaper, parcels etc should be dealt with care. Sanitize your hands after touching them and neveallow your kids to pick them up.
Millions around the world are infected with the dreadful COVID 19. Avoiding public gatherings, unnecessary travelling and social distancing help to protect us from hitting the panic waves. So, in this alarming situation, let’s stay home and break the transmission chain as much as possible. Follow the above-mentioned tips and map your health to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.