An infectious environment is threatening! Especially, the COVID-19 which has emerged as a mysterious pandemic, has set the world at an alarm. People across the world are following physical distancing bringing a major shift in the way the world trades, communicates, and takes care of daily living activities. Cutting down the outdoor recreations, shopping online, minimizing visits to public places, and taking good care of health are a few new dimensions added to our lifestyle. With all these changes, what got a major boost in the healthcare industry is the “Telehealth system” which is taking care of public’s health virtually in an effective manner.
What is Telehealth?
Telehealth is the use of technology to manage and improve health care without any restrictions of geography, distance and time. It encompasses a wide range of remote healthcare services, remote treatment monitoring, real time interactive services, as well as distance health education of the people. It also virtually connects the patient to healthcare providers through phone calls or online medium, offering more of a personalized care at the patient’s comfort. It is a safe and convenient way to get a quick solution for health-related issues.
In the Covid-19 crisis, experts are encouraging all communication and information technology providers to support clinical care platforms, including telehealth and telemedicine that connect the healthcare providers, experts, and patients together. Telehealth platforms are playing a crucial role in controlling the spread of coronavirus by limiting the visit of patients to crowded hospitals and clinics. In this pandemic situation, people should take smart steps and use telehealth services for health conditions like viral fever, routine follow up for chronic allergy, diabetes, hypertension, and other non-emergency health issues.
Benefits of Telehealth:
In a highly populated nation like India with immense pressure on the healthcare industry to meet the emergency situation of a pandemic, maintaining safe distances among people seems to be a humungous challenge. In such a scenario, tele-health is emerging as a rescuer offering a number of Covid-specific benefits.
Benefits during Covid-19:
- Empowers people to access healthcare at home and stay safe and healthy
- Reduces the risk of patient-to-patient and patient-to-doctor exposure
- Keeps many intermediate or unknown subjects free from the risk of infection
- Minimizes the pressure on healthcare facilities allowing better treatment and attention to others
- Keeps the hospitals and clinics free to attend emergency cases and others that require hospitalization
- Choicest healthcare solution for people living in remote and under-serviced areas.
- Saves a lot of time and money as in the in-clinic visits
- Offers a familiar setting to patients as they get healthcare facilities at home
- Convenient and safe
- Privacy assurance of medical records
- Reduces travel stress and associated risks
How Telehealth works?
- Choose your telehealth provider
- Get registered or sign in to avail the services
- Select a general or a specialized doctor or any other service you need to avail.
- Fill up your personal details such as name, age, gender, diagnosis and current complications.
- Choose the mode of consultation such as via mail, video call, or phone calls in case of doctor consultation, or else book another service
- You will get a call or a notification from the service provider about the status of your requested service.
- Continue with the consultation or other service as scheduled or as suggested.
- Get your prescription and expert’s advice online for further procedures such as recommendation for diagnostic tests and medicines etc.
Services you can avail through Telehealth
Telehealth includes a wide range of clinical and non-clinical services:
- Live video consultation, phone call, chats or mail communication with a doctor
- Remote treatment, monitoring and documented recommendations for a patient
- Scheduled diagnostic tests at home through online booking
- Health tracking through medical devices and apps
- Remote wellness services like mental therapies, yoga, meditation sessions etc
- Awareness and educational materials to keep updated and safe
Common health conditions for telehealth reference
During the current scenario of pandemic, it is always wise to stay at home and get cared for non-emergency health conditions from expert doctors online. A few common conditions suitable for online consultation are listed below.
- Common cold and seasonal allergies
- Skin and hair problems
- Regular paediatrics issues
- Sexual health problems
- Psychiatric issues like depression, anxiety, stress
- Psychological counselling
- Follow-up for chronic conditions like diabetes, hypertension, asthma, arthritis, etc
Word of Caution: People suffering from any kind of critical illness like kidney problem, liver disease, cancer, heart disorders etc or acute illnesses like heart attack, seizures, severe breathing problems, bleeding, diarrhea and vomiting should consider emergency care or visiting a doctor in-person for immediate help.
Stay safe at home!