1) Ketogenic diet
Ketogenic diet also known as keto diet, is a high-fat, adequate-protein, and very low-carbohydrate diet. Initial recommendation of this diet began with treating patients recovering from various chronic conditions such as Epilepsy, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Autism, Parkinson’s disease and more. Surprisingly, after observing its remarkable property of increasing body’s metabolic rate, speedy recovery and weight loss, the diet has topped the preference of dieticians and people worldwide.
How it works
- When you are following ketogenic diet, your body is healthily forced to go in a fat burning mode because it undergoes ketosis (energy is derived from ketone bodies).
- Energy derived from ketone bodies instead of carbohydrates is highly effective for weight loss because of the direct body fat burning mechanism and appetite-suppressing effects.
- It takes 1-2 weeks for your body to adapt to this high fat and very low carb regime. After 1 week, you can couple your regime with mild exercises for a toned body.
- It has been observed that if this diet is followed continuously for 3-4 months or longer period, it gives best results. Dieticians claim healthy reduction of 4-7 kgs in a month with keto diet.
- To be noted, initially you may feel bit of weakness, headache, nausea, increased hunger and disturbed sleep but guidance from dietician will quickly adapt you to keto diet effortlessly.
Obese people (weight 100kg and above), athletes, and modelling professionals. Also, patients with arthritis, fatty liver, PCOS, Thyroid, Epilepsy, and kidney disorders report health benefits.
- Ketogenic diet not only helps in dropping weight but also reduces the level of triglycerides and lowers the risk of heart diseases.
- This is not only the best technique to reduce appetite for weight loss, but this diet also improves blood cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar/ insulin levels.
Include healthy fats such as homemade butter/ ghee in your diet daily, but don’t exceed beyond 3-4 tbsp.
Have quality protein intake with Tofu, paneer (50 gms) homemade cheese (2tbsp), lean proteins such as fish, and skinless chicken (150-200gms).
Enrich the diet with essential nuts and seeds like- almonds, almonds flour, walnuts, peanuts, brazil nuts, hazel nuts (15-20), flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (2-3 tsp)) and lots of green leafy vegetables.
Who must not follow?
Cancer patients, pregnant/lactating women, liver cirrhosis patients, Type 2 diabetes (people with episodes of very low blood sugar levels), and Kidney patients on dialysis.
2) DASH diet
DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension)- DASH diet commenced successfully with people living with hypertension (high blood pressure). In today’s pace of life, stress, blood pressure and heart problems are a common part of every household. Hence Dash diet becomes an ideal choice for people accompanied with stressful lifestyle and trying to lose weight.
Dash diet not only maintains blood pressure, it also helps to reduce the risk of diabetes, obesity, coronary heart diseases and oedema (water retention) which attributes to one of the major causes of weight gain.
To begin with, one should gradually cut their daily intake of sodium. Initially, only 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day (about 1 teaspoon) should be consumed. Once your body gets accustomed to the diet, cut back to 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day (about 2/3rd teaspoon).
How it works
- DASH diet helps to lower blood pressure by providing more crucial nutrients, such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- DASH diet requires avoiding foods that are high in saturated fat, processed fats, sodium, sugar-sweetened foods and beverages to keep a check on blood pressure.
- DASH Diet means a high content of calcium, protein, and potassium, all of which are essential for preventing or delaying the onset of osteoporosis and other bone disorders.
- According to the experts, one has to focus on consuming more of fruits, grains, vegetables, protein, and healthy fats. It also helps in maintaining the right weight or shedding the extra body fat.
Specific cancer patients and people with heart disorders, hypertension (BP), kidney stones, bone disorders, obesity and diabetes.
All grains and grain products (5-7 servings), legumes (1- 1 ½ serving), fruits (3-5 servings), Vegetables (5-6 servings), low fat dairy products (2-3 servings), lean meat, fish, skinless chicken (100 gms), oils 4-5 teaspoon, and nuts and seeds (1-2 serving).
Potassium rich foods (fruits, fruit juices, coconut water, vegetables, especially green leafy) helps in lowering the blood pressure.
Who must not follow?
Hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) patients and others with Hypotension (low blood pressure), end stage of kidney disease or kidney patient on dialysis.
3) Indian Detox
Detox diets are short-term dietary interventions that claim to clean your blood or purify your blood, eliminate harmful toxins from your body, improve health and promote weight loss. It can be coupled with any diet programme as an intermission.
How it works
They frequently include the diuretics (water expelling), vitamins, minerals, herbal fluids and other concoctions having detoxing properties.
- Body has a cultured way of removing toxins that involves the kidneys, skin, digestive systems, liver and lungs.
- Junk foods and regular alcohol consumption can reduce the ability of liver to carry out its normal functions like-detoxification.
- Detoxing your body once in 6 months can make your organs rejuvenated and cleansed.
- Since most of the detox consumables are fluidic in nature, drinking more water regulates your body temperature, nutrients absorption, lubricates joints and detoxifies your body by removing waste products.
- All carbohydrates, dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt should strictly not be consumed while following detox judiciously.
- Detox can be either done once in a week or 7-day detox in every six months. However, it depends upon the body type and specific health conditions. If for any reason, you are unable to follow detox diet plans, get back to your normal diet while keeping it very light and healthy. You must also speak with a dietician.
Weight loss, skin glow, allergy reduction, liver patients, alcoholic fatty liver patients, heart patients, women with polycystic ovarian syndrome and smokers.
Must have (After every 2 hrs)
Seasonal salad- 1 big bowl (Beetroot, carrots, cucumber, onion, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage (slightly boiled}, tomatoes, lemon juice)
Green detox blended juice-
- Spinach/ coriander leaves (100gms), ginger juice (1/2 tsp), lemon juice (1 tsp), warm water (1 medium glass).
- Cumin seeds (overnight soaked), water (1/2 cup) + lemon juice (1 tsp) + rock/ black salt (1-2 pinch).
- Cucumber juice (4-5 tbsp) + mint (1 tsp) + lemon juice (1/2 tsp) + warm water (1 medium glass).
- Wheatgrass juice (1-2 tbsp) + mint (1/2 tsp) + salt (1 pinch)
- Warm water (1 medium glass) + lemon (1tsp ml)
- Aloe vera+ warm water(200gm) + lemon juice+ pinch of salt.
Morning and evening beverages- Green tea / green coffee.
Soups for supper- Skinless chicken soup, fish soup, broccoli soup, tomato and carrot soups, bottle guard mix veg soup for supper
Who must not follow?
Advanced staged kidney patients, pregnant/ lactating women, highly diabetic patients, cancer and anaemic patients.
Most important takeaway message
Weight loss is not completely about cutting down on foods, it has a complimentary angle of determination and dedication coupled with 45 mins of daily exercises, yoga and breathing exercises for good health. A diet adopted by you has to be tried out atleast for 3 months to get desired results. To keep distractions away, you can always motivate yourself with real life examples of models, dancers and your favourite sportspersons.
If you are facing any challenges during weight loss, don’t hesitate to speak freely with your nutritionist/dietician. A blood test before and after following the above diet plans is recommended to rule out any deficiencies in the body to be on the safer side.
So, on this note wishing you a successful journey on weight loss. May you look fabulous!