Skin is the largest and the only visible organ of the body, which primarily helps us to fight microbial invasions, to stay warm during cold weather and vice versa. Additionally, it plays a significant role in regulating the body’s needs according to temperature.
It is needless to say how much we all desire voluminous shiny hair, but we hardly do anything more than lamenting and opting out for costly salon treatments.
Here we present a list of top consumable foods and masks which are highly useful for healthy hair and glowing skin
1. Egg - Egg is one of the most nutritious food on this planet, it contains rich amounts of protein which promotes both healthy skin and hair growth. The protein called keratin present in egg is highly beneficial for skin, hair and nails.
Skin & hair gets its toughness and major chunk of composition from keratin. It is said that 80-85 % hair is composed from the protein called keratin. Keratin helps to maintain healthy smooth hair along with strength, structure and shape of the hair. Egg also contains biotin (Vitamin B7 or also known as Vitamin H) which helps to produce keratin. Biotin, which is found in egg yolk, nuts (almonds, walnuts), seeds, oats, milk and some grains is an essential part of healthy hair hence 2-3 egg whites, or 1 whole egg daily is recommended both men and women.
Egg hair mask - Along with consumption of eggs a quick egg pack also helps to restore lost protein. For short hair 1 egg. For long hair 2 eggs. Beat the eggs mostly the white portion along with henna or 2 tablespoon of lemon and apply it well. Leave it for 30 minutes at least and rinse well with a shampoo. Enjoy silky, less frizzy hair.
2. Curd - This modest dairy product has rich amounts of lactic acid, protein, fatty acids, calcium, zinc, magnesium and potassium. It also contains biotin which varies depending on the type of milk we use.
Curd has number of health & nutritional benefits furthermore; it is highly beneficial for skin and hair. Good bacteria present in curd are called probiotics , prevents hair loss, dandruff problems and also provides healthy, soft, shiny skin & hair.
Curd face pack - 1 tsp Curd+ 2 tsp gram flour+ pinch of turmeric (Mix gently apply on face leave it for 5-8 mins, wash with cold water)
3. Fatty fish - Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, albacore tuna, mackerel and herring are the rich source of Vitamin A, E, D, protein, biotin, selenium and other minerals. These are the superlative for glowing skin and hair. Fish oil also contains two types of omega 3 fatty acids EPA & DHA (EPA is beneficial for skin and DHA for proper brain functioning).
For vegetarians or for people whose protein intake is not adequate, it is highly recommended to start high quality supplements of omega 3 to prevent scaly skin and thinning of hair.
4. Onion - Onion is an excellent source of antioxidant quercetin (flavonoids), organic sulphur, dietary fiber, folic acid, calcium, iron, Vitamin A and C. Onion is antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-aging and anti-inflammatory in nature which helps to fight skin infections. It also treats dark spots, ugly patches and pigmentation marks. Hair is also composed of sulphur which is very essential for hair strength and elasticity. Since we may have a decent amount of onion in our diet in the form of salad etc. however, application of onion blends and juices have been found to be extremely beneficial.
Onion hair mask - Raw onion juice + 2 drops of olive oil. Massage well in the scalp till it dries and rinse well with water. This pack promotes excellent hair growth.
5. Tomatoes - Eating tomato is good for skin and hair. It embraces tightening of pores, treats sunburn, reduces irritation, reduces skin oiliness, balances pH and cures acne. Tomato is the rich source of Vitamin C, A, biotin and also contain antioxidants beta-carotene, lutein, that helps to fight free radicals in the body. Anti-aging antioxidant lycopene helps to prevent wrinkles and protects from sun damage.
Tomato & cucumber face pack- 1tbsp tomato juice along with 1-2 tbsp cucumber and aloe vera juice. Don’t leave it for more than 15-20 mins. Wash with cold water. Discontinue if you get rashes on face.
Walnuts & almonds are the richest nuts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. They contain essential antioxidants Vitamin A, E and C which help in maintaining your skin smooth and glowing. It also protects hair from sun (UV) damage. Walnuts have anti-inflammatory agent that helps in keeping your hair glossy by reducing scalp irritation. Omega 3 fats in walnuts also reduce the inflammation of skin.
Powerful hair oil - Almond/Walnut oil & Coconut oil massage - Mix equal amounts of both the oils and leave it overnight for best results. Promotes hair growth and nourishment.
7. Last but not the least “Water”- As like any other organ cells, skin cells are also made up of water. Water helps in effective absorption of nutrients and makes hair and skin healthy. when consumption of water is inadequate, the function of all our organs and cells will be affected, resulting in dry, scaly skin and also leaves hair dry and frizzy. Approximately 55 to 65 % of our body is made up of water, including all organs, tissues, skin and cells.
A blood test can help you find the root cause of your skin and hair problems. Diseases like Thyroid, Eczema, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, stress related disorders and bacterial/fungal infections can pose a great threat to your skin and hair. Don’t ignore
Many of the times despite all our efforts hair loss and skin pigmentation continues in this case medical intervention is most necessary. Loosing hope and not doing anything will only lead to further damage. Speak to a doctor or Consult a dermatologist without any further delay.